Tuition & Tuition Assistance

Information for Prospective & Current Students

Prospective and current students are strongly encouraged to consult the Student Financial Services (SFS) website at  for information about educational loans, billing and payment options, forms, and self-service tools to help inform decisions about financial matters.  Inquiries about tuition assistance may also be directed to the School of Social Policy & Practice (SP2) Office of Financial Aid.

Doctoral Students:
While PhD students are eligible for federal loans, the School will provide funding for tuition, fees and health insurance while providing a living stipend.  This funding would be guaranteed for the first four years of full time study.  Students in the Clinical Doctorate in Social Work (DSW) program are eligible for all federal financing options.  The School does not provide grant funding to DSW students as most are employed full time.  However, all Doctoral students are eligible to participate in flexible loan repayment options as well as federal loan forgiveness for those working in public service.

International Students:

The School of Social Policy & Practice can only offer merit-based tuition assistance to outstanding international students.  Permanent residents of the United States are treated as citizens for purposes of federal and institutional aid.  International students do not qualify for U.S. government or other loans. International students may be able to secure a loan only if a qualified U.S. citizen is able to co-endorse a loan for the student.  Federal regulations require international students to demonstrate they have the financial means to cover all tuition and living costs associated with the program. International students should contact their own governments and the American Embassy (or Consulate) for information regarding other possible financial assistance.

Tuition assistance application process:

Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), which is available on-line at The University of Pennsylvania institutional code is 003378. You must complete the FAFSA to be considered for any federal aid. Continuing students who plan to apply for federal aid should be aware that they must make satisfactory academic progress before they are eligible to borrow again.

Your FAFSA information will be sent directly to the University's Student Financial Services (SFS) Office. They will then prepare an official tuition assistance package based on your FAFSA information, which will be sent directly to you. If you have questions about your FAFSA application, please contact Student Financial Services directly at 215-898-1988 or

Students may search for funding from outside sources at

For Masters degree program students only:

Complete the financial aid supplement section of the online application for admission. This form is used for determining grant eligibility for Masters degree program.  If you indicate on your application for admission that you will be requesting financial aid, your application will not be considered complete until this section is also completed fully.  Applying for financial aid will in no way affect your eligibility for admission.

Students will receive information about their grant eligibility directly from the School of Social Policy and Practice’s (SP2) Office of Financial Aid. Questions concerning grants and school-based tuition assistance should be directed to the SP2 Office of Financial Aid.