Applicants for admission to the DSW program are required to:
- Hold a master’s degree in social work from an accredited social work degree program;
- Have three years post-MSW practice experience;
- Provide three letters of reference (one academic and at least one from a supervisor of your clinical work);
- Submit a sample of written work that reflects the applicant’s abilities as a writer and demonstrates potential for doctoral study; and
- Complete an application essay, responding to the following questions:
What factors have contributed to your decision to pursue a doctoral degree in social work at Penn, and what do you expect to gain through advanced studies?
Describe a challenging case or professional situation that you have encountered, where you were in the role of social work practitioner, supervisor, administrator, or teacher. Discuss how you used a conceptual/theoretical framework and how you assessed and intervened in this situation.
Discuss an issue that you wish to explore in-depth through your doctoral studies. Include in your discussion how your exploration of this issue may contribute to the social work knowledge base.
Application deadline: February 15th
We do not grant social work course credit for life experience or previous work experience.