Financial Aid FAQs

How much does it cost to attend the School of Social Policy and Practice?

The cost of attendance (tuition, fees, and living expenses) can be found on our Tuition & Fees webpage.

How can I be considered for scholarships?

Students can be reviewed for SP2 scholarships by indicating on their admissions application that they would like to be considered for financial aid. Please note that both merit scholarships and need based awards are forms of financial aid, so students must answer “yes” to the consideration for financial aid question. After confirming yes, students will be asked a number of questions in regards to their personal resources, student debt, and outside funding. Please answer all questions as accurately as possible, as supporting documentation may be requested for verification.

Penn employees are not eligible for direct scholarship aid. For more information, please go to Tuition Benefits.

I wanted to be considered for scholarships but did not check yes on my admissions application. Can I still be considered for aid?

No, you must indicate your interest in scholarship aid at the time of completing your admissions application.

Can international students receive scholarships?

Yes, all students, including international students may apply for SP2 scholarships.

How will I find out if I am receiving a scholarship?

Scholarship determinations are included in admissions decision letters.

I have a competing scholarship offer from a peer institution. Will SP2 reconsider my SP2 scholarship offer?

We would be happy to reevaluate our SP2 award for the MSW and MSSP programs only. To begin the process, please email our Office of Financial Aid at your request with copies of your official offer letter(s). We will forward you a supplemental survey to complete.

We do not offer reevaluations after matriculation or after a deferral.

How can I find scholarship opportunities beyond SP2 scholarships?

We have created a resource document containing External Scholarship opportunities to help jump start the process of identifying outside scholarships. When searching for outside scholarships, students should consider checking with local civic groups, employers, and/or visit these websites:

In addition to scholarships, what other forms of financial aid are available to help fund a degree program at SP2?

All U.S. citizens and permanent residents who successfully complete and submit the FAFSA are eligible to participate in the federal aid program. Students may borrow up to the total cost of attendance (tuition, fees, and living expenses, minus any aid received) through the federal aid program, which can include work-study, the Direct loan, and GradPlus loan.

What is the deadline for the FAFSA?

We recommend that students submit their FAFSA by March 15th to ensure enough processing time for our central office of Student Financial Services.

What is SP2’s school code for the FAFSA?

SP2’s school code is 003378.

Do I need to provide parental information on the FAFSA?

No, you are not required to submit any parental information on your FAFSA.

How can I apply for work-study?

Students must successfully submit a FAFSA and enrollment deposit to be reviewed for work-study eligibility by our central office of Student Financial Services. The recommended due date is March 15th.

What is the standard work-study award?

SP2 currently awards qualifying students up to $2,000 in work-study funding. Many students use this award in conjunction with their required MSW field placement or NPL practicum. Additional work-study opportunities are available through the Student Employment Office.

Can I use my work-study award with my field placement?

Yes, students can utilize their work-study funding while completing required field placement and practicum hours.

Can work-study awards be increased?

The maximum SP2 work-study award is $2,000. Unfortunately, we do not offer work study increases.

When can I expect to receive a complete financial aid packet from the central office of Student Financial Services (SFS)?

Financial aid packets are generally communicated in early summer. Please note that you must have submitted your enrollment deposit to receive a financial aid packet; however your scholarship determination will be included in your admissions decision letter. Whereas the financial aid packet will inform you of your work-study eligibility, as all U.S. citizens and permanent residents who successfully complete and submit the FAFSA are eligible to participate in the federal aid program; which allows you to borrow loans up to the cost of attendance (tuition, fees, and living expenses, minus any aid received).

Does SP2 offer Graduate Assistantships?

SP2 has a limited number of Graduate Assistantships that are generally reserved for PhD students. Please note, these positions are not awarded or posted by the SP2 Financial Aid Office.

SP2 News

Michael Nutter and Lisa Nutter

Faculty & Research

Michael and Lisa Nutter to Launch Economic Mobility Initiative at SP2

In the United States, economic inequality is among the most pressing social issues of recent decades. The country’s wealth gap, which...

SaraKay Smullens

Alumni Stories

SP2 Alumna Receives Society for Social Work Leadership’s 2021 Kermit B. Nash Award

SaraKay Smullens, a 1965 alumna of the Master of Social Work (MSW) program at Penn’s School of Social Policy &...

Loran Grishow-Schade

Alumni Stories

SP2 Alum Honored for Ongoing Gender Identity Research, Work

For years, Loran Grishow-Schade, MSW ’20, MSSP ’21, has proven to be a prolific leader and fully-immersed pioneer in work...

MSW Student Alisa Branch

Student Life

“Always Something New to Know”: MSW Student Alisa Branch on Being a Non-Traditional Learner

Even after a three-decade career in the human services field, Alisa Branch still felt that she had more to learn,...

Discover More