Two milestone examinations/evaluations must be passed by all DSW students:
- Dissertation Proposal: All students are expected to submit the final dissertation proposal to the dissertation chair by March 31 of year two, for approval by the dissertation committee by April 30. Upon acceptance of the proposal the student enters doctoral candidacy.
- Dissertation Defense: An oral examination on the contents of the doctoral dissertation. Upon successful defense of the dissertation, completion of all other degree requirements and depositing of the final dissertation manuscript to Scholarly Commons, the DSW degree is conferred.
Timeline for completion dissertation proposal:
- Jan. 31 of Year 2: Submission of preliminary dissertation proposal draft to dissertation Chair.
- March 31 of Year 2: Final, revised draft of dissertation proposal submitted to chair.
- April 30 of Year 2: Full dissertation proposal approved by dissertation committee.