In the MSSP and NPL programs, the Supervisor/Mentor’s feedback will be descriptive and is used primarily for the student’s learning.
Field instructor evaluations for students in the MSW program use the following grading system: Pass/Satisfactory, Marginal Pass, or Fail/Unsatisfactory. The core practice instructor has final responsibility to assign a letter grade for the course.
Problems Securing a Field Placement in the MSW Program
In the event of three unsuccessful field placement interviews, the Field Department will reassess the student’s appropriateness for the field placement. Planning for another placement at that point is at the discretion of the Director of Field Education, in consultation with the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs. Possible outcomes are:
- Recommend dismissal from the program if an appropriate graduate level social work internship appears unobtainable.
- Student will postpone field placement and be withdrawn from practice class until the following year (re-entry review required).
- Student will be recommended to another field placement for interview.
Termination of Field Placement in the MSW Program
If a student is terminated from their field placement due to problems identified by the agency, the decision to provide another placement will be made at the discretion of the Director of Field Education and the student’s practice instructor. The Director of Field Education may request consultation with the Field Education Committee which consists of the Director or Associate Director of Field Education, the student’s practice instructor, the student’s academic advisor, the Dean of Students, and the Practice Faculty Chair. If the student is subsequently terminated from a second field placement, the student will not be assigned to a third placement site until a review is conducted by the Field Education Committee. Possible outcomes are:
- Re-assignment to a third placement.
- The student is not assigned to another field placement and is withdrawn from the practice class. The student may be given the opportunity re-take the practice class when it is offered again.
- If it is determined that the student has violated professional conduct standards, a plan for remediation will be implemented per the procedure specified in the SP2 Student Handbook.
- The student may be terminated from the MSW program.