Control Societies Speaker Series
- This event has passed.
The Control Societies Speaker Series brings cutting-edge scholars from around the world to Penn with the aim of exploring how the philosophical foundations of algorithms and data intersect with governmentality, surveillance, social policy, and power relations. Speakers include leading thinkers who engage in scholarship around critical data, media studies, computational or algorithmic cultures, software studies, and work that relates to questions around power, governmentality, and the reproduction or reconfiguring of difference.
The speaker series for 2019-2020 includes:
- October 7th: V. Mitch McEwen
- October 14th: Meredith Broussard (cosponsored with Center for Digital Culture and Society)
- December 9th: Ruha Benjamin (cosponsored with History and Sociology of Science and the Penn Program on Race, Science & Society)
- January 27th: Kara Keeling (cosponsored with Cinema and Media Studies at Penn)
- February 17th: Stephanie Dinkins
- March 30th: Jasbir Puar
- March 23rdDenise Ferreira da Silva, March 23, 4pm
The Control Societies Speaker Series is supported by the Provost Excellence Through Diversity Fund, the Annenberg School for Communication, the School of Social Policy & Practice, the Price Lab for Digital Humanities, and the Department of Africana Studies.